Spring & summer is a fantastic time to get in shape and spend some extra time outdoors. But the longer days and warmer weather can also place some extra stress on the skin. From dehydrating heat to the sun’s relentless ultraviolet (UV) rays, the elements can make the skin more susceptible to seasonally-related damage.
So how can you maintain supple skin during the warmer months? Here are some steps you can take to ensure that your skin stays well-protected as you enjoy your favorite warm weather activities.
- Wear SPF 30 sunscreen daily. Shielding your skin from harmful UV rays is a year-round skincare must. When the sun becomes more intense as summer approaches, it is important to take extra precautions to protect your skin. If you go to the beach or pool, use a waterproof sunscreen with a stronger SPF and reapply every two hours. When the sun is at its peak, wear a hat and cover up. Avoid sunburns at any cost, even if it means cutting your outdoor time short.
Recommended sunscreens: SkinMedica Total Defense and Repair, SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion or EltaMD Clear SPF 46
- Drink plenty of water. When it is hot, the skin’s moisture reserves can become depleted the body produces cooling sweat. Replenish the body regularly with water, especially if you are exercising or doing strenuous outdoor work.
- Shower before entering the pool and use coconut oil on the skin. When you swim in a pool, the body absorbs chlorine and other chemicals that are used to treat the water. Showering before the pool can saturate the skin, making it less able to absorb the drying chlorinated water. A natural emollient like coconut oil can create a barrier, giving the skin an extra layer of protection. After your swim, use a gentle cleanser to wash away pool residue, then follow with a generous application of a rich body moisturizer.
- Don’t skip the moisture. With the increase in humidity, moisturizer seems redundant, but it is easier to lose hydration in the summer from perspiration. Many people are concerned about their skin appearing shiny or greasy. A lightweight, oil free moisturizer is recommended for this concern.
Recommended moisturizer: SkinMedica Ultra Sheer Moisturizer
- Treat your skin to an intense skin hydration treatment. It is important to support the skin’s own regenerative and healing capacity. A hydrating spa treatment can revitalize and strengthen the skin. Daily use of a topical hyaluronic acid will provide immediate and lasting hydration.
Recommended topical hyaluronic acid: SkinMedica HA5
Recommended spa treatment: Microdermabrasion with Epi-infusion for the face, neck and chest
If you have questions about summer skincare or are interested in rejuvenating damaged skin, contact the experts at Rejuvenis Beauty.