What is a Septorhinoplasty?
A septorhinoplasty is a nose surgery that addresses both cosmetic and functional nasal issues. The procedure combines the techniques of a rhinoplasty–a nose reshaping procedure–with the techniques of a septoplasty–a surgery that corrects a deviated septum.
Dr. Ronald Russo is an Illinois board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in both cosmetic and functional rhinoplasties. For individuals who would like to straighten a deviated septum and make a cosmetic change in a single procedure, Dr. Russo recommends a septorhinoplasty. You may be an ideal candidate for a septoplasty if you:
- Have obstructed breathing due to a deviate septum
- Would like to make a cosmetic change, such as straighten the nose or reduce its size
- Would like address multiple concerns in one procedure
The Septorhinoplasty Procedure
Before a septorhinoplasty, anesthesia is administered to ensure patient comfort. Dr. Russo will then make incisions so that he can adjust the septum and open up the nasal passages. To enhance the appearance of the nose, Dr. Russo will sculpt the cartilage or bone and trim or graft nasal tissue–whatever is necessary to achieve a balanced form. The surgical technique he chooses will depend on the nature of the concern and the complexity of the work. After the septum is straightened and the cosmetic work completed, Dr. Russo will apply nasal splints and sutures in the nose.
A septorhinoplasty is typically an outpatient procedure and does not require a hospital stay. After the procedure, the nose, eyes, and cheeks will be swollen and bruised. Any discomfort can be managed with medication and cold compresses. In about a week, the initial swelling and bruising will begin to subside.
Healing after a septorhinoplasty takes time, but there are few steps you can take to help facilitate your recovery:
- Sleep with the head elevated and apply cold compress. Sleeping with your head at a 45 degree angle will help ease swelling and increase your overall comfort. Use a cold compress to reduce swelling and discomfort. Remember not to apply any pressure when using the cold compress.)
- Stay out of the sun. Overexposure to the sun can permanently damage the delicate post-surgery skin as it heals. It can also darken any scars making them difficult to fade and heal properly.
- Protect your nose and avoid strenuous activity. Avoid rigorous exercise for about a week following surgery. Patients should also refrain from contact sports and other activities that increase the risk of nose injury.
Combining rhinoplasty with a septoplasty does not necessarily extend recovery period. In fact, there is an overall benefit to having a combined procedure. A single surgery that addresses multiple issues can make your overall recovery more efficient.
Septorhinoplasty Consultation with Dr. Russo in Champaign, IL
For over 30 years, Dr. Russo has been helping patients in the Champaign area reach their aesthetic goals. If are considering a nose surgery to correct a deviated septum and would like to hear more about the benefits of a septorhinoplasty, contact Dr. Russo at Rejuvenis Beauty to schedule your consultation.