Sun exposure is one of the main causes of skin aging. The most common signs are brown spots, wrinkles, and dull skin. Excessive sun exposure can even lead to skin cancer. Although skin aging caused by sun damage is irreversible, some products and treatments could reduce the appearance of the symptoms.
Expert cosmetic surgeon Dr. Russo offers his patients the most effective cosmetic treatments and skincare to remove sun damage and enhance healthy skin in Champaign-Urbana. He writes about 3 ways to reduce the signs of sun damage.
Sun Damage and Prevention
It is better to prevent than to cure. That certainly applies to sun damage. Dr. Russo advises his Champaign-Urbana patients to always protect your skin from sunlight. This can be done by wearing clothes with long sleeves and putting on a hat. Be careful with sunbeds as you may also get sun damage when sunbathing under the solarium. Use a high-quality sunscreen cream with a high protection factor (SPF 30 or higher) when you have no other option than exposing your skin to the sun. It is never too late to start protecting yourself and prevent further damage.
Skincare Regimen – Advanced Pigment Correcting System
When the sun has left its mark in visual dark spots and pigmentation, an appropriate skincare regimen may reduce its appearance. The right kind of skin care will also protect you from further damage. Although skin aging caused by sun damage is irreversible, some products could reduce the appearance of certain symptoms:
- AHA exfoliant: exfoliates the skin surface so that pigmentation spots can fade and your skin looks smoother and healthier.
- Retinol: reduces wrinkles, skin discoloration, and other harmful effects of the sun by stimulating the natural cell renewal process.
- Vitamin C: protects against environmental damage and fades brown spots.
- Antioxidant Serums: a blend of powerful antioxidants supports and protects your skin.
Expert cosmetic surgeon Dr. Russo highly recommends Lytera® 2.0 Advanced Pigment Correcting System in his Champaign-Urbana office. This system consists of 6 products that contain the above ingredients and work together to correct the appearance of hyperpigmentation and overall photodamage. The effects are proven in a clinical study and most patients report first results after 4 weeks.
Cosmetic Treatment to Remove Sun Damage in Champaign-Urbana
In some cases, a skincare regimen is not enough to get the desired results. It can be combined with a cosmetic treatment that focuses on reducing the signs of sun damage. The most effective treatments are exfoliation, Forever Young BBL, or laser therapy.
Discoloration and Hyper-pigmentation
- Advanced chemical-free exfoliating treatments such as Dermaplaning can brighten superficial pigmentation spots and refine wrinkles.
- Non-invasive fractional skin resurfacing uses radio-frequency energy to boost the skin’s natural healing processes. The treatment with Fractora reduces discoloration, hyper-pigmentation, melasma, and fine lines, and wrinkles.
Advanced Sun Damage
- Morpheus 8 is an effective skin care treatment that uses fractional radiofrequency (RF) energy to promote the production of collagen. The treatment reduces skin discoloration, wrinkles, deep lines, and age spots.
- When sun damage is advanced the treatment needs to target the deeper dermal pigmentation, tone, and texture in the skin. Halo™ by Sciton® is a groundbreaking non-surgical laser treatment that can be customized to your skin and needs.
- Forever Young BBL uses Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology to fade freckles, dark spots and overall sun damage with little or no downtime.
Remove Sun Damage in Champaign-Urbana
Dr. Russo specializes in innovative procedures that help you maintain a youthful face and remove sun damage in Champaign-Urbana. The right solution will depend on your skin and situation. Get in touch with our experts at Rejuvenis Facial Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa in Champaign-Urbana for a customized treatment plan.